Tuesday, February 17, 2009

solder of fortune

I have finally embarked on a project that I've been talking about for years. Namely building my own airship. Considering the expense of the full sized model, I decided to start with something a bit smaller and, perhaps autonomous. I shared the idea with my brother Ron Evans (http://deadprogrammersociety.blogspot.com/), a very talented programmer, and we began talking about arduino, and the ruby arduino development(RAD) project and thus, project flying robot was born.

The idea is to build a semi autonomous blimp, capable of receiving instruction from an xbee equipped laptop, and use on board sensors to navigate around obstacles.

I have a back ground in building electric vehicles so the responsibility for building the body of the blimp has fallen to me, leaving my brother to work on the brain. I realize that for a first project, a flying robot is pretty ambitious, but when it comes to things like this, I like to get in over my head right away, and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment